New Parent Checklist
Do you have a new baby with Down syndrome? Follow this “New Parent Checklist” in order to access all of the support services and programs available for you and your baby.
- Enjoy your baby!
- Contact CMDSS if you need additional support.
- Connect with the Central Mississippi Down Syndrome Society to get a physical copy of the New Parent Guide. You’ll begin receiving communications to learn about local support services, events and information.
- Be sure to fill out a membership form online.
- Contact your local Early Childhood Intervention Program.
- Apply for the following programs:
- Medically Disabled Child Living at Home Program – once approved, your child will automatically qualify for WIC without regard for income.
- Developmental Disability Medicaid Waiver after qualification for Medicaid for Disabled Child Living at Home.
- Find a good pediatrician who has experience with children with Down syndrome.
- Attend a New Parent Dinner sponsored by the CMDSS. These are informal gatherings for parents/families of children with Down syndrome 5 and under or new to CMDSS. These dinners are held periodically, generally in the months of May and November.
- Get involved with other CMDSS programs such as:
- Attending social or educational events
- Joining CMDSS in October for the annual Buddy Walk
- Check out the CMDSS Awareness Calendar and consider sharing your beautiful child.