Special Education Grant Program
About the Special Education Grant Program
Purpose of the Grant Program
- To encourage the development and implementation of new special education services, with particular emphasis on services that provide specific benefits to students with Down syndrome.
- To fund new educational services in school programs that are attended by members of CMDSS.
How can the funds be used?
- Funds may be requested to assist teachers in attending educational seminars or purchasing classroom materials for use with students with Down syndrome.
- Funds may be requested to assist with the development and/or implementation of special education curricula that are demonstrated to provide enhanced educational benefits to students with Down syndrome.
- At the discretion of the awarding committee, funds may be requested to assist with other educational programs or services that are demonstrated to provide specific benefits to students with Down syndrome.
Who can apply?
Any special education instructor or administrator who provides special education services, preschool and above, in the service area covered by Central Mississippi Down Syndrome Society. At the discretion of the awarding committee, applications from other geographic areas in Mississippi may be considered.
Is there a limit on the grant amount that can be requested?
In order to extend grants to as many teachers and programs as possible, the following limits apply to grant requests: Up to a maximum of $500 per teacher or program every 2 school years. All applications are subject to the availability of funds. Award based on the number of applications received, funds may not be available to award all grants requested, or to award the full amount requested.
Consideration of grant requests will include the following criteria:
- Services or programs that are specifically targeted for students with Down syndrome.
- Services or programs that that are demonstrated to provide enhanced educational opportunities for students with Down syndrome.
- Services or programs that encourage the development of self-help skills or new talents, interests and experiences for students with Down syndrome.
- Services or programs that are attended by members of CMDSS.
- Educators may apply for a Special Education Grant every 2 school years. Applications received during Fall semesters may be fulfilled in January of the following year if submitted after all budgeted funds have been used that year.
When do I get the grant money if it is awarded?
Funds are available only for actual expenses associated with a grant that has been awarded. This means that, as part of your grant application, you must provide CMDSS with documentation to establish the actual cost of the program or service for which you are applying. If you are awarded a grant, you will be notified, and CMDSS will then verify with you the actual costs prior to releasing your funds. Other details may be included in the award letter.
Where do I apply?
You can complete the application by mail or online. If possible, funds should be applied for at least 90 days prior to the date on which funds will be needed.
Central Mississippi Down Syndrome Society
P.O. Box 935
Jackson, MS 39205
Complete the application below.
Have questions about our grants or the application process? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.